Rums that are TOO fantástico to mix. Try our NEW rum flights!
POSTED IN | Food & Drink
National Rum Day is on August 16 and we're celebrating, big time...as in we've turned the entire month of August into RUM MONTH! Celebrate our favorite spirit all month long with rum flights and rum cocktails.
Cool off this summer by sipping on Cuba Libre's 90+ varieties of rum, as the Old City restaurant has dedicated the entire month of August to the delicioso spirit. Cuba Libre's rum flights, available during lunch, weekend brunch, or dinner, include selections of three 1 oz. pours crafted to suit any taste - aged, dark, light, spiced - whatever your preference, Cuba Libre will craft the perfect flight!
Two special rum cocktails from Brugal Rum are also available exclusively during the month of August:
- Brugal Anejo Cuba Libre: Brugal anejo, classic coca cola and a hint of lime
- Brugal Extra Dry Mojito: Brugal rum, fresh mint, guarapo, lime juice and a splash of soda
Then, on National Rum Day, August 16, Cuba Libre's annual tradition of HALF-PRICE rums and rum drinks during Happy Hour (sí, every single rum!) continues at the bar from 5 to 7 p.m. That's right - any cocktail mixed with rum or any rum flight will be half-off during Happy Hour!
Brugal Rum will continue the celebrations on Friday, August 18 with another one-day-only rum celebration led by Jassil Villanueva, 5th generation Brugal family and master rum blender. Jassil will demonstrate how to make the evening's featured cocktail, the 1888 Old Fashioned (old fashioned - lightly muddled orange with a dash of bitters and our own house made brandied cherry syrup) with tasting portions available at the bar from 6:30 to 8 p.m.
Check out the cocktail menu to view your favorite rum drinks and our rum flights.
Cuba Libre will offer the following special rum flights during Rum Month. Looking for something different? Ask your server for recommendations!
Brugal Rum Flight ($21) - for those who love whisky, this self-proclaimed "rum for whisky lovers" is perfect for you!
- Brugal 1888, Dominican Republic: Aged in old bourbon casks for at least six years, and then again for another two in sherry casks. Sharp caramel taste with notes of oak and orange liqueur in the finish.
- Mount Gay Black Barrel, Barbados: Small batch rum aged in heavily charred Bourbon barrels. Pleasant vanilla aroma followed by notes of almond and additional hints of banana and dried fruit.
- Brugal Anejo, Dominican Republic: Distilled from fermented molasses. Blend of rums aged 3 to 5 years in used whisky and bourbon barrels. Slightly woodsy, earthy aroma with notes of vanilla and nutmeg. Flavors of brown sugar, dried fruit, lightly bitter banana peel, and leather are noticeable through the finish.
Taste of the Islands ($17)
Island hop with handpicked Caribbean rums. Classic styles with flavors of brown sugar, molasses, fruit and spice.
- Appleton Estate Signature: A blend of 5- and 10-year old rums. Rich aroma of orange, brown sugar-molasses, cinnamon and vanilla leading to a medium body of honey, dried apricot, and nut flavors Slightly smoky finish.
- Chairman’s Reserve Gold Rum: Medium bodied, steeped with Caribbean “bois bande” bark and aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels. Flavors of vanilla, clove, ginger, orange zest and dried fruit with a lightly spicy finish.
- Don Q Añejo: A blend of rums aged 3 to 12 years. Sweet and dry in its finish. Flavors of baked apple, tropical fruits and spice with hints of nuts and vanilla. Recommended to sip neat or on the rocks.
Aged Reserve ($20)
Similar to fine whiskey, aging can bring out unique and complex flavors in rum. Ideal for sipping and relaxing.
- Atlantico Private Cask: Smooth blend of fresh cane juice and molasses based rums matured using the solera system. Pronounced notes of citrus and vanilla on the nose and the palate with flavors of molasses, spice and caramel.
- Appleton Estate Signature: A blend of 5- and 10-year old rums. Rich aroma of orange, brown sugar-molasses, cinnamon and vanilla leading to a medium body of honey, dried apricot, and nut flavors. Slightly smoky finish.
- Clèment Vsop: Rum liqueur aged at least 4 years in virgin Limousin barriques and re-charred in Bourbon casks. Warm caramel, exotic spices and dried fruit permeate the nose, with coconut, banana crème brûlée flavors. It has a silky entry and a slightly dry finish.